Rafael Nadal has pulled out of this year’s US Open
US Open Defending champion and world number 2, Rafael Nadal has decided not to play the US Open later this month because the coronavirus pandemic is “not under control”.
If you remember, Rafael Nadal won his 19th Grand Slam title after the US Open last year. And he will miss a Grand Slam for the first time since Wimbledon in 2016.
Nadal said on Twitter, “After many thoughts I have decided not to play this
year’s US Open. The situation is very complicated worldwide, the COVID-19 cases are increasing, it looks like we still don’t have control of it.”
“This is a decision I never wanted to take but I have decided to follow my heart this time and for the time being, I will rather not travel.”
Roger Federer will also be absent from the US Open, with the 38-year-old Swiss recovering from knee surgery.
The women’s world number one, Australian Ashleigh Barty, also said last week she won’t be playing at the tournament.
However, it’s still not certain if the likes of World number one, Novak Djokovic and Grigor Dimitrov will make it to the tournament.
Remember, Novak Djokovic and Grigor Dimitrov tested positive for coronavirus days after playing in the Adria Tour, though they’ve recovered.
The United States Tennis Association (USTA) is hosting a double tournament at Flushing Meadows, having moved the
Cincinnati Masters to New York.
The event will be staged at the Billie Jean King Tennis Centre from 22 August, with the US Open starting on August 31.